Transforming the CLR to numerical applications, and the nullspace that results.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Quick Intro

This is codekaizen. I work on SharpMap, GeoAPI.Net, NPack, and, in order to support SharpMap, a (temporary?) fork of Proj.Net.

I have had to learn a lot about linear algebra, numerical methods and their implementations, computational geometry and associated algorithms, spatial data structures and indexing, limits of machine representation of vector components and real numbers, and the architecture of "vector processors" like the SSE instruction set or GPUs to speed up, sometimes by an order of magnitude, the core computation primitives in reasoning and displaying spatial data.

With all this swirling around in my head, I need an outlet. So it is upon you, oh gentle reader, that I sling the clay of awareness and hope to mold it into the art of understanding and craft of proficiency. I'll admit that I don't really have a deep and abiding grasp of the math. I also don't have breadth in the application of the algorithms and data structures to a variety of situations. Nonetheless, I do have a firm grasp of the Microsoft CLR v2.0 and the underlying machine, and I need to explore how to apply the CLR to the problems of spatial reasoning, data visualization, and various numerical and heuristic methods to assist in finding patterns in data and helping to arrange and render the visualizations. As the graphics capability of commodity hardware becomes powerful enough to easily render any 2D and most 3D scenes, and processing becomes more distributed and abundant, real-time, everywhere-available applications which help us see and interpret our work and our lives more efficiently, more comprehensively and with greater insights. Computation is a natural extension of our minds, and we are compelled to greater heights of understanding - our .Net applications must, and will, accommodate. I hope to fill in the gaps between numerical and algorithmic theory and practice on the way.

No comments: